Friday, March 29, 2013

The Garage Door Saloon

J fully intended to rip this bar apart and destroy whatever it might stand for, but goddammit, it's actually a pretty great bar.

A lot of J's youthful follies took place in this bar back when it was The Next Decade. There were rock shows and birthday spankings. There were strip teases and bare asses on the stools. There were drugs and there was after hours drinking. There were probably a lot of other things that J just can't remember. The place was dirty and dark and smelled kind of bad. The pool table was so warped that anyone could win; a game of skill became a complete game of chance. It was cheap as shit and James made the best bloody mary in the city for when 4pm rolled around and you still really needed that bloody mary. To say that J has feelings about this place is an understatement. And nothing is more dangerous than a 30-something feeling nostalgic for her college bar.

So, screw this place for being so nice. Why aren't you terrible? Why are you so much better laid out, and cleaner, and all around nicer? If you were going to go that route, couldn't you follow through with some bourgie college grossness, at least? No, you had to keep the cool punk feel of the place and make it better. You had to expand the beer selection impressively, but still keep it cheap. Screw your brand new pool tables that people can actually play on, man! Dart boards? Well, isn't that nice? Actually, yeah, the dart boards are totally nice. Also, the hole in the wall where you can buy pizza from next door? The most genius thing I've ever seen in a bar that doesn't serve food.

Even the bartenders were adorable and super nice. They humored J's ramblings with aplomb and were knowledgeable about their beers. They also warned us that after 11 or 12 on the weekends, the place does get flooded with college kids. So, maybe we can go back then and really get our hate on. It really sucks how much we liked this bar.


Address:
223 Atwood St, 15213
Games:
Pool, Darts, Air Hockey
Façade:
Not Scary
Scene:
Punk Rock College 
Parking:
Wear walking shoes
Patio/Outdoor:
No
Kitchen:
None
Cleanliness:
Nice
Smoking:
Some
Jukebox:
Internet Crap
Hours:
-2am
Cig Machine:
Yes
Drink Prices:
Cheap
# taps:
24
Bathrooms:
Average
Specials:
A lot, posted on the wall
Live music:
Never
$6.00
ATM:
Yes
Cash Only
No
TVs:
8
Size:
Average

















2 comments:

  1. During a night out with the guys, We decided to have a drink at the Garage Door Saloon. I stopped at the bar, grabbed a beer, and proceeded back to the pool tables. After finishing our game of pool, I left my 2nd purchased beer on the side table. Upon exiting the bathroom, i noticed it was missing. I asked the guy who was sitting next to the side table, "Do you know what happened to the full Blue Moon that was sitting here?". He replied "One of the bartenders took it". I walked up to the bar and notified the ladies who were working, that one of their employees took a full beer, which i had just paid for. They told me, Tough luck and shrugged off my complaint. I asked the lady to close out my tab. She mentioned that the owner was here, and if i wanted to, I could talk to him about it. I approached the owner and explained that one of his employees took a full beer i had recently purchased. He replied "Im not your fucking Mom or Dad. Im not gonna hold your fucking hand while you go to the restroom!". I replied " I can hear you fine there is no reason to yell about this situation. Im only trying to resolve the issue". To where he replied "Get the fuck out, Now". I tried to reiterate my statement by saying, "Now...(I dont think thats necessary.)" He decided to pick me up by both arms and proceed to carry me out of the Establishment. Leaving my hands in my pockets the whole time, I made the statement "This is a little unnecessary, dont you think? I will be contacting the BBB about this". To which he replied with slamming me against the wall and saying "I dont give a shit". He threw me out of the saloon. My friends were out the door shortly after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. Garage Door Service Surprise AZ

    ReplyDelete