Tuesday, April 1, 2014

2014: First Quarter Round-Up

Since we're slowing down on the number of bars/reviews in year two, we're pushing the round-ups to quarterly endeavors.

Bars visited: 25
Reviews Published: 24
Neighborhoods hit: Northside, Greenfield, Polish Hill, Swisshelm Park, Strip District, Shadyside, Regent Square, Lawrenceville, Uptown, Squirrel Hill, Hill District
A:
  • Best Bar: Fuck it. I love this place. I know it is smoky, but it is a really great bar. Murphy's
  • Worst Bar: I am going to give this to Conley's. No Jameson’s. There is just something fundamentally wrong there.
  • Biggest Surprise: The inability of the patrons and owners of The Squirrel Hill Sports Bar to write a cohesive sentence with even a hint of basic grammar. Also, their lack of reading comprehension skills.
  • Biggest Disappointment: The Shadyside Hideaway. For being a secret tucked away bar, it sure was bright and deserted and uncomfortable. But maybe that had to do with the weather. Eh, either way I was disappointed.
  • What did A learn: That J won't let me get into internet fights! She is so mean!

J:
  • Best Bar: I'm really torn between Gus's and Independent, but I'm going with Independent on this one because: a) they are closer to my house and b) International Fries Night.
  • Worst Bar: This has to go to the Squirrel Hill Sports Bar. Not because the bar was actually bad, it really wasn't. They get this honor by being completely bonkers in the comments of their review.
  • Biggest Surprise: This is another close one. I was pleasantly surprised by a lot of bars these past few months. I'm going to go with Verdetto's for the most surprising.
  • Biggest Disappointment: Sometimes a totally sketchy looking dive bar turns out to be a fun time (see: Shale's), but sometimes it's just a sketchy little dive bar like Conley's.
  • What did J learn: That A really wants to get into pointless internet fights.

No comments:

Post a Comment