Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Mario's East Side

A: First and foremost, I would like to express my condolences to Shadyside for the death of Doc's. You were a great neighborhood bar and you will be missed. RIP Doc's. (1965-2011.)

J: I could give a shit about Doc’s. Suck it, Doc’s.

A shoots J an evil look.

A: Anyway, the name Mario's conjures up images of the South Side’s main meat market. South Side Mario’s is high on my list of worst bars in the burgh. I am just well past the meat market stage of my life. So, when I heard that they were taking over one of the best go-to bars in Shadyside, it made my heart break a little.  

J: My care level is unmoved. I can‘t disagree with anything else here, though. Mario’s South Side is about the worst. My heart remains unbroken for Doc’s.

A: At least we can agree that Mario’s South Side is the worst, even though your heart is a cold and tiny ball of hate. The real issue with the Mario’s brand is the clientele that it attracts. After the re-branding of Doc's to Mario's, the atmosphere there changed from a casual neighborhood bar to a thumping, bumping party place.

J: My time spent in Walnut Street bars is limited, to say the least. It seemed fine while we were there, but any bar that has a “wheel of shots” for when people can’t decide on their own drink is highly suspect to me.

A: Yes, the shot wheel is way over the top. The space is beautiful though. The Mario's people did do a great job of giving it a make-over. It is a huge bar with lots and lots of space. There is a beautiful and spacious roof deck with a second bar upstairs. There are lots of TVs inside and outside and even propane heaters to make the outside space available in the winter. They have a dart board and a shuffle-board table. The drinks are a bit pricey and the service can be pretentious; we watched a poor guy try to flag down a bartender for a good 5 minutes. The bartender seemed to be ignoring him almost on purpose.  

J: Agreed. It is a very nice, big, and well-appointed space that I will never go to again.

A: Well, I do know people who go there regularly that I am very fond of, and if that is your thing, then more power to you. It just isn't for me. I was never into that kind of scene anyway; being from the land of misfit toys growing up.

J: Yeah, I just kind of hate horny rich people.

A: Anyways, it’s a beautiful bar with a great space, a great location, and a crappy atmosphere, that J will never go to again.


Address:
5442 Walnut St, 15232
http://www.mariospgh.com/eastside/
Games:
Darts, Shuffleboard
Façade:
Not Scary
Scene:
Rich People
Parking:
Wear Walking Shoes
Patio/Outdoor:
Yes
Kitchen:
Bar Food
Cleanliness:
Nice
Smoking:
None
Jukebox:
Internet Crap
Hours:
4pm-2am
Cig Machine:
No
Drink Prices:
Richie Rich
# taps:
10
Bathrooms:
Sit
Specials:
Happy Hour
Live music:
Never
$10.00
ATM:
Yes
Cash Only
No
TVs:
8
Size:
Friggin' Huge






















1 comment:

  1. This really does sound just like J.

    I like the idea of wheel of shots, but I'm kind of a pro at Bad Drinking Decisions; I've literally gone to bars and asked for a shot of "the worst liquor you have." Horny rich people seems like a recipe for not paying for your own drinks, so, I can see the appeal to that...

    ReplyDelete