Wednesday, July 31, 2013

William Penn Tavern

J: So, this seems like a fine bar. It’s tucked away off Walnut Street and has the lower prices to prove it. It’s a sports bar, for sure. Every available surface, including the ceiling, is covered in paraphernalia. And bobbleheads. Man, they have a lot of bobbleheads.

A: J, you obviously never spend any time in Shady Side. This is a campus frat bar. If you so much as walked past it on any given weekend night (I am talking college weekends, so Thursday through Sunday,) you would be appalled and run screaming.

J: Well yeah, there’s a reason that I don’t spend any time in Shadyside at all. I can only take so many popped collars at a time. You could say that about every bar in Shadyside. At least the beer is cheap here.

A: Not EVERY bar in Shady Side. Well, define Shadyside. Ellsworth has some nice spots, and what about Mardi Gras?  No popped collars in there. Do people even pop collars anymore?  I digress. The beer is cheap because they are serving it to college frat boys. I mean, I guess that is ok if that is what you are looking for, but I try to avoid that place at all costs. Why don’t you give the people a run-down of what the space looks like? I would probably be a bit too harsh.

J: They’ve got a mid-sized bar and a decent number of tables a half level down from the bar. What I’m guessing really sells the place though, is the patio. It’s got a separate bar out there and plenty of tables, and an awning protecting it from some of the elements. Plus, the patio has its own cheap beer specials.Who doesn’t like to buy beer by the bucket?

A: I don’t. I don’t like beer by the bucket. I’ll admit it.
J: Lies. I’ve seen you drink beer buckets and like it.

A: I’ll never admit it. You have no proof. Libel! I want to conduct an experiment. It will be called, “how long can J stay in William Penn Tavern on a Friday night.” 
J: The bartender was friendly. The beer selection was not extensive, but the beer was cold. It’s about as close to Yinzer as you’re going to get in Shadyside. It’s covered in some pretty tacky Pittsburgh graffiti art. I don’t know. I’m not mad at it.

A: (rolling eyes)

Address:
739 Bellefonte St, 15232
http://www.wmpenntavern.com/  
Games:
Darts
Façade:
Not Scary
Scene:
Shadyside Sports Bar
Parking:
Easy
Patio/Outdoor:
Yes
Kitchen:
Bar Food
Cleanliness:
Normal
Smoking:
None (outside smoking)
Jukebox:
Internet Crap
Hours:
11am-2am
Cig Machine:
No
Drink Prices:
Average
# taps:
10
Bathrooms:
Sit
Specials:
Nightly Cheap Beer
Live music:
Never
$9.50
ATM:
Yes
Cash Only
No
TVs:
7
Size:
Normal






















No comments:

Post a Comment